Washington State University Vancouver Library 2017 Student Research Excellence Award
To further support undergraduate research, the WSU Vancouver Library will be offering the Library Research Excellence Award. A prize of $300 will be given to the best project and the winner will be acknowledged in a display within the Library. The award is open to all WSU undergraduate students at the Vancouver campus.
The purpose of the award is to recognize excellence in undergraduate research that demonstrates evidence of significant inquiry using the library, its resources and collections. The competition will be open to any individual undergraduate student in any field. All media are encouraged. In addition to the actual paper or project, students must submit a 500 -750 word essay describing their research strategies and use of library collections along with a letter of support from a course instructor.
Projects will be evaluated by a panel of WSU Vancouver librarians using the following criteria:
- Evidence of advanced use of library resources and collections.
- Evidence of outstanding ability in locating, selecting, evaluating and synthesizing research materials.
- Evidence of significant learning and development in the course of preparing the project.
- Evidence of the development of a research question and method of inquiry.
- Evidence in overall quality of the project, including clarity of expression, quality of writing style, and content that illustrates use of a broad range of sources and research materials.
The Student Research Excellence Award is open to WSU undergraduate students. Projects completed during or since Fall 2016 are eligible. Deadline for submission is April 24th, with the award announcement made no later than May 5th. Please note that group projects will be considered but award money can only be given to one person per award. To apply please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org (or deliver it to the Circulation Desk in the Library) by April 24th:
- Application Cover Sheet
- 500-700 word essay which addresses the evaluation criteria
- One faculty letter of support